Passionate About Sound
Optimal Speaker Design is engaged in the design, engineering, and distribution of high-quality home and commercial audio products. Our products range in complexity from simple in-ceiling speakers to whole house audio systems—all with beautiful styling and high-end sound quality.
Our U.S.-based research, development and design team, is supported by a network of cutting-edge acoustical, mechanical and electrical engineers. Together, we create products that combine the latest technology with ease of use for a quality sound experience.
With extensive product and application knowledge, our exceptional customer service team provides you with custom solutions to create the perfect audio solution.
Technology Integrator - September 18, 2018
By Patrick McCarthy
CEDIA Expo 2018: OSD Black Polished Portfolio of Speakers Ready to Shine
CEDIA Expo has always been an interesting arena for companies to come and show why they are different from everyone else on the show floor - and while OSD Black could have just let their speakers do the talking, they certainly had one of the most interesting stories to tell.
OSD Black is a new-ish venture from Audio Gear Group - we saw the brand launch a few architectural loudspeakers a few CEDIA Expo's ago- with this year being a full commitment to expanding the brand's portfolio. Audio Gear Group is in a unique position of being able to distribute a few high-end brands such as Carver, M&K Sound, and Aurum Ultra-High-end cables while still being able to focus on the success of their CI-focused OSD Black brand. Underscored by support from president Dave Chai's successful direct-to-consumer line Outdoor Speaker Depot, OSD Black is removing a handful of pain points a new brand launch may suffer from including lukewarm price points, lacking tech support, and distribution woes. But their ability to maneuver past that helps keep OSD Black on a cadence to be something unique and not another flavor of the month speaker company.
Their offerings included good, better, best models for every variety of in-wall, in-ceiling, outdoor, subwoofers, and everything in between. Most notable was their 234-pound Theatro X11 amplifier. The monstrous amp is ideal for driving an entire 7.2 system by itself, producing 11-channel of 380 watts with less than .01% distortion to any multi-channel configuration imaginable. Of course, OSD Black also offers more traditional rack-ready amplifiers, but it was hard to look away from their newest powerhouse amp.
OSD Black also looked at their in-wall LCR options, adding two models in the T64 and T65. The main difference is some of the materials used (graphite vs. carbon fiber) offering different price points for different needs. The T64 is rated 40 watts (RMS) and 80 watts (peak) while the T65 hits 60 watts (RMS) and 100 watts (peak). The idea was to bring tower speaker performance to an in-wall configuration and they nailed it without breaking the bank. Their super shallow, 6.5-inch in-ceiling R62SS speaker compliments that line by offering high fidelity in an ultra-thin design. It also employs their line of paintable magnetic grills as well as a limited lifetime warranty. The booth also showed off a handful of outdoor equipment that was a step up from their consumer-direct line-up and really showed the spectrum of offerings.
It's clear that OSD Black has a new purpose on the market. Talking with the team at the booth, they explained all the nuances that go into making different offerings for every need without sacrificing quality. Which reflects their unique position to keep offering high-quality cable accessories, outdoor solutions, and a rock-solid distribution as it continues to keep a professional level of quality with competitive price points.
Residential Systems - September 24, 2018
By RS Staff
Audio Gear Group Launches Expanded Black Brand
Audio Gear Group, a manufacturer and distributor of fine architectural and landscape loudspeakers, multi-channel amplifiers, custom installation accessories and more under the BLACK, M&K, and Carver brands, has launched multiple new models in its BLACK high-performance line of upgraded speaker and electronics products.
The BLACK brand offers a full assortment of audiophile-grade architectural and landscape audio products made available throughout the United States via the support of a hand-selected group of premium dealers.
Here is a brief summary of the new BLACK models that were launched at the 2018 CEDIA EXPO:
• THEATRO X11 Amplifier – This 234-pound beast of an amplifier gives you 11-channels of 380 watts of premium theater sound in one 10RU box. The THEATRO X11 offers both unbalanced and, as is often preferred by audiophiles, balanced XLR inputs. It also offers a 12-volt trigger for integration into your home automation system.
THEATRO X11 Amplifier
• SC-800 In-Wall Subwoofer – BLACK engineers have created a space-saving design that easily installs in your wall cavity and uses both an active 8-inch woofer with a 10-inch passive radiator. The SC-800 has a paintable frame and grill to blend into any décor. The SC-800 is rated to handle 300watts.
• T64 In-Wall LCR – The T64 is a left/center/right speaker that brings tower speaker performance into an in-wall configuration. The woofers employ thermal plastic rubber (TPR) surrounds with has better flex properties yet remains stiffer and longer lasting. Can be mounted vertically or horizontally. The T64 is rated for 40watts (RMS) and 80 watts (peak).
• T65 In-Wall LCR – The next step up from the T64, the T65 is an in-wall LCR speaker with two 6 ¼-inch Carbon Fiber cone woofers, one 4-inch paper cone midrange driver, and a 1-inch Titanium dome tweeter. The T65 is rated at 100watts (peak) and 60 watts (RMS).
• R62SS – While others go thin, BLACK offers this shallow R62SS 6 ½-inch in-ceiling speaker. Shipped with BLACK’s Perfect Edge magnetic grills and carrying a Limited Lifetime Warranty, the R62SS is rated at 25-100 watts power handling.
• PLS6 Pendant Speaker – An indoor/outdoor 2-way 70v pendant speaker with 6 ½-inch polypropylene cone woofer and 1-inch Aluminum dome tweeter, the PLS6 is designed for high ceilings and open environments. The PLS6 enclosure is made up of UV-resistant and paintable polypropylene, making the PLS6 perfect for indoor or outdoor use. (Separate PLS6-ACCPK accessory kit available to convert the pendant design for outdoor mounting – see below.)
• PLS6-ACCPK – This accessory pack includes everything you need to convert the PLS6 Pendant Speaker into an outdoor speaker. The kit includes stake, metal plate, full cap, rubber seal, speaker wire lead, and screws.
P83 All-Weather Outdoor Speaker
• P83 Black/White – The P83 is an all-weather outdoor speaker for placement on a patio, deck, or other outdoor living space. A full-featured 8-inch 2-way design, the P83 includes an 8-inch injected polypropylene woofer coupled with a 1-inch Titanium tweeter. The P83 can handle 150 watts of power.